Saturday, April 12, 2008

Looking around

This morning a strange dynamic concerning this ride hit me in the face. I was just finishing up an early morning ride before work, and I decided to stop by my (other) work to check the schedule. (This spring I have been holding down 4 part time jobs =crazy life transition period). As soon as I stepped in the door, I felt uncomfortable. Not because I was wearing clanky bike shoes, a helmet, or an over-abundance of neon color--well okay, maybe it was because of those things--but it was also because I realized how blessed I was to be able to go on this ride. A lot of my coworkers are working pay check to pay check and wouldn't dream of doing something like this. I'm not sure what to make of the uncomfortable feeling...maybe its a good thing, or maybe it a bad thing, or maybe it was just the biking attire. I think it comes down to the fact that I am "working to alleviate poverty" by riding my bike across the country which seems like a very strange and irrelevant way to help the problem when it is in front of my face everyday.

I know that this ride is and will be very powerful and effective and it is worth all the energy put into it. I am behind it all the way. On the cyclist forum, there has been a recent discussion on why we have chosen a bike ride. Through this wrestling, many have pointed out that the ride isn't just for the money, but more importantly its for raising awareness. And it is one step to help solve a big problem.

Still, sometimes it just feels weird.

Yeah, and this weirdness and uncomfortable-ness is good I guess. Because if we didn't feel "weird" when faced with our own and other's hardships, there would be an even larger problem.

And now I am just preaching to myself, so I will stop.

No comments: